Thursday, February 20, 2014

Painting the Cabinets and Choosing Kitchen Decor

So this past week I decided to paint the cabinets! It honestly was a spur of the moment type of thing. I originally went to Walmart to pick up paint to touch up the ceiling in the kitchen from my previous painting adventures and once I started, I didn't stop haha. Since we rent we can't really do much about the cabinets in terms of replacing them, but we could put on a fresh coat of paint and boy could you notice a difference. Our cabinets went from a dingy offwhite to a fresh clean white...amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do! 

This is the color we went with after looking through many white paint samples, who knew white was now a color and there were so many options? What happened to just plain white and offwhite? We must have looked through 50 different shades of white before finding one that matched our ceiling color pretty close. 

We chose the color Table Linen White and purchased it from Walmart. 

Table Linen White #1103 by Glidden





I took some photos of our cabinets to try and show the difference between what they looked like before I painted and the after. The following photo shows a before and after. The cabinet on the left is what they currently looked like and the cabinet on the right is after I put on a fresh coat of paint. It may be difficult to really see a difference but it was extremely noticeable in real life. Painting the cabinets made such a difference!

Left Cabinet: BEFORE  and Right Cabinet: AFTER  

I also did some shopping and picked up some items for the kitchen. Most of the items I purchased came from either Walmart, Target or Biglots. 

I originally wanted to go with THIS rug that I found at Lowes. I purchased it and brought it home and although I loved how big it was and the pattern, it just did not match very well in the space. I decided to return it and look elsewhere for something that would match a bit better. 

I ended up going with this coffee themed rug instead that you can find HERE
I picked up a few other pieces for the kitchen, like these dishtowels that I found at Walmart. 


I also picked up this pack of coffee themed decals that I found at target. This is what I used as my "back splash" on the wall behind my kitchen sink. I think it really turned out nice! The great thing about going this route is I can take them down if I decide I no longer like them or we move and they cause zero damage to the walls, which is great for someone who is a renter like me!


So, that is all I have to update you on in terms of my kitchen for the time being. Next week will be the final reveal of my kitchen makeover and I am so excited to share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment