Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kitchen Makeover On A Budget

I have been talking about wanting to re-do our kitchen in our apartment for quite some time now. I don't want to spend alot of money though, seeing as how we do rent and have no idea how long we will be staying here. That being said, I decided to do a makeover on a budget, filled with painting and lots of d.i.y projects. So, what is the plan for this kitchen? 

The color?
Currently, our kitchen and dining room are the same color, an orange/red that is called cinnamon stick or something odd like that lol. I love the color, but I really have never loved having it in our kitchen, I want more of a neutral tone. So the plan is to paint the kitchen the same color as our living room and hallway.  The color we are going with is SINGE by Valspar. 




The Theme?
I really like the idea of a coffee themed kitchen. So I really want to play that up with my decor. Think coffee themed potholders, coffee themed wall art, and coffee themed clock. These are some things I have found online that has given me inspiration. 



D.I.Y Projects
So, I knew going into this project that if I wanted to stay on a budget, I was going to have to make some items myself. Lucky for me, I ENJOY d.i.y projects. So here are some items I found online as inspiration for projects that I am going to try and replicate somehow myself.

D.I.Y painted on wood above keurig           D.I.Y cardboard letters painted metallicD.I.Y light switch and coffee beans


The Back Splash
I also really wanted to incorporate some type of back splash behind our kitchen sink. It is such a small area but I wanted to give it a bit of a punch opposed to just simply painting it. I am going to be trying out a few different options, and showing you them along the way. First up, we have Foil Back splash, in a red/black/white checkered print that I found at the Dollar Tree. I picked up 4 packages and gave it a shot.



Overall, I love the look of it. However, it did bubble up and refuses to be smoothed out. Another issue was the adhesive, it was not very strong and easily peeled on and off (while this is great for a renter like me, it almost removed too easy). I was worried that the back splash would fall down and not be sticky enough, so I put it up and left it overnight. Sure enough in the morning it was all falling down. :/ I still like the idea of a back splash there so I will be trying again. I have 3 other options I want to look into.

1. Contact paper
2. Peel and Stick Tiles (attached to cardboard and nailed into the wall)
3. Chalkboard paint

Let me know which one of these options you would go with or what you have done in your kitchen if you are also a renter.

 Be sure to stay tuned for the next part in my kitchen makeover series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment