Sunday, March 9, 2014

21 Day Organization Challenge: Day 7

We made it! We are now 1 week into our 3 week challenge. Today it seems appropriate to work on our freezer as we organized the fridge yesterday. These 2 areas of the house go hand in hand and we want them both to be in tip top shape! 

So here is what I was working with 

Not pretty right? Our freezer is just one big open space so I do have a stand that I picked up years ago in my freezer to give me a bit more space and more of a divided area. This way items aren't just in one big pile and instead they are separated into a top and bottom portion of the freezer. You can find shelves like this at Target, Walmart, and heck sometimes even the Dollar Tree.

So, I used the same process as  I did the fridge yesterday. I took everything out and then gave my freezer a good cleaning.
You can see in this photo what I meant about the freezer being one big open space. I highly recommend putting in a shelf of some sort if you have a freezer like this. It really does help! 


So, now that my freezer was cleaned and cleared out, it was time to put everything back in. Again I did not spend any money on this project and instead I used items I already had on hand.

So, here is the after.
 As you can see I put the shelf back in and it really helps. If this wasn't here my items would just be sitting on top of each other and it is a PAIN to find anything. On the top shelf I placed our ice cube tray and 2 baskets I had on hand (they originally came from the Dollar Tree). One basket contains desserts and the other veggies. On the floor of the freezer I have my gluten free pizza crust (it fits perfectly in that spot), a thing of cool whip and underneath the coolwhip I have a lasagna freezer meal I made awhile back. I also placed a clear shoe container (again from the Dollar Tree) which holds all of my meat products. To the far right, is a lobster, which happened to fit perfect there as well.

 Here is the shoe container that holds my meat products.
A closer look at the items in the container. You might notice the bag that has a label cut out and placed in it. This was originally grilled chicken from a bag that I placed in a Ziploc bag and then cut the cooking directions off the old bag and place it with the chicken. This way I was able to condense bags into something smaller but still keep cooking directions. I don't know about you but I have a ton of bags/boxes that always end up with only a couple things left in it. It is such a waste of space! Taking products out of their original packaging and putting them in smaller bags, can really make a difference.


Next I have the 2 containers holding desserts and veggies. Again I combined like products and removed original pakcaging. This is great for items like Popsicles and those Klondike bars. A box takes up so much more room and by removing them from the original box you often are able to fit much more into a small space. 

Last we have the door of the freezer. This is where I am storing bread products and convenience foods. I like to store our extra bread and bagels in the freezer. This helps to make them last longer. Especially my gluten free bread products which can go bad quickly, especially when you don't eat them on a regular basis, which I personally don't. In the top portion, I store our "convenience" foods. We try very hard not to eat too many items that's are prepackaged but we do tend to keep some on hand. Here we have our Steakums, Crab Rangoon, and some gluten free chicken nuggets and fish sticks.

So there you have it. A nice and organized freezer. Your fridge and freezer can now live in harmony and your life should be a little bit easier, at least in the world of food ;) 

Be sure to take on this challenge and if you do leave a link to your Youtube channel or Blog down below so I can check out your hard work.

Hope to see you tomorrow when we start into our 2nd week of this challenge where we will be working on organizing our kitchen cabinets.

Happy Organizing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment